Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Finally! a gesture that doesn't involve a middle finger

I've been searching for jobs all day, and it has sent me into a slight depression. Not one of those dramatic my-life-is-a-tragedy depressions, just one of those what-do-you-mean-you're-not-looking-for-any-Katrockets-at-this-time? depressions. Mild to boring, really. Wasn't even gonna mention it.

But then this delivery came: beautiful flowers! I instantly felt the rush of social acceptance and desirability, paired with strong curiousity.... who could they be from? That guy from last weekend? That girl from last night? Did my car turn into a giant robot and pick them just for me? Wait a minute - do I even HAVE a car?

Well, they were actually from my father, which was no less surprising, because although my father is a generous and caring man, he's not well-known for such spontaneous gestures of parental support. He came to visit me last weekend and noticed I was quieter than usual, less confident, trying too hard to be "upbeat" - knowing very well how much I want to punch all upbeat people.

I couldn't help but cry after reading the card. The message wasn't sappy or oversentimental. Just a simple "go get 'em girl". I cried because it was exactly what my mom always did to brighten my rough patches when she was alive. Even though my dad always complained that it was a stupid waste of money and never understood why women were 'into that crap", I guess he finally realized that it truly can be "the thought that counts". The simple act of sending someone a positive message, and a small token for no other reason than to make them feel good is never a waste of one's time or money. It's just a super cool thing to do, that's all.

Thanks a million, Dad. You really rock - and now I see where I get that from.

10 comments:

steakbellie said...

damn you got me all like..."Awwww..."

pistols at dawn said...

I would have been all like "awww," but I was so mad it wasn't a Transformer that the last grey part of my heart was blackened.

But my more compassionate co-worker (that is to say any of my co-workers) would like me to note that job searches suck it hard, because most jobs aren't even interesting in ad form, which says a lot about jobs.

Chris said...

*sniff*

Blank Field said...

Searching for a job, which in our modern world is what most of us use to validate our existence, is harder than finding a significant other. Probably because the money is steadier from a job. Wouldn't it be great if you found a significant other who paid better than your last job?

I still haven't ever bought a woman flowers. I did buy flowers for my cousin after he crashed his van and ended up dead. He was a pot head and died in a haze of glory.

Which is not to imply ANYTHING about you or towards you or about you, etc.

I would consider presenting you with bulbs...

Dale said...

Didn't I tell you I always sign my cards 'Dad'? No? Then your Dad rocks. Or rockets.

T said...

As a father of a daughter, I can honestly tell you that no matter what you do, say or feel, us dads can sense it quite well.

Also, we're big time suckers for our little girl(s).

CoffeeDog said...

HUGS, not huhs lol

CoffeeDog said...

Rocket size huhs for you!

Snooze said...

Aw, that's great that your dad reached out exactly how you needed.

Leonesse said...

I find that all good gestures should involve the middle finger. I am thinking of getting a splint on mine just so it is always out there and I can pretend I'm not doing it when I really am.